Visit: Beauvoir, 2244 Beach Blvd, Biloxi, MS 39531-5023
Spend a day at Beauvoir, and you'll instantly know why Jefferson Davis called Biloxi, MS home! Your tour will be led by a trained guide through Beauvoir’s beautiful mansion which was commissioned by James Brown in 1848. Your guide will provide intimate details about Jefferson Davis the United States Congressman, Secretary of War, and Senator. Come learn about how he became Provisional President of the Confederate States of America, and what led to his death in 1889. Your ticket also includes access to the Jefferson Davis Presidential Library, Beauvoir Museum, Beauvoir Memorial Cemetery, Oyster Bayou, Mrs. Varina's Garden, and historical cottages.
Throughout the tour, you'll learn more about:
• Beauvoir's construction beginning in 1848
• Boarding and lodging of the house between the years 1852-1927
• Household utilities such as water, waste, heat and light
• Spaces in the house such as the halls and parlors, the semi-private kitchen, bedrooms and bathrooms
• Daily chores and seasonal tasks of Beauvoir
• The transformation of the land to a Confederate Soldier's Home for the Confederate Veterans and their wives and widows 1903-1957.
• The Industrial Revolution and Mass Production of weapons during the Civil War years 1861-1865.